America, Take Heed!
In his Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, written in 1788, Edward Gibbon specified five basic reasons why that civilization withered and died. One wonders whether historians centuries from now will find a deadly parallel between the United States and Imperial Rome. Here are the flaws that Gibbon detected:
1. An undermining of the dignity and sanctity of the home, which is the basis for human society.
2. Higher and higher taxes, and spending public money for free bread and circuses for the populace.
3. A mad craze for pleasure, with pastimes becoming every year more exciting, brutal, and immoral.
4. Building great armaments, although the real enemy was within -- the decay of individual
5. Decay of religion -- faith fading into mere form, losing touch with life and losing power to guide the people.
Can any thinking person fail to see in these a frightening likeness to the society in which we are now living? Whether we are beyond the point of no
return or not, I do not know. I do know that God has told us that, “Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.” (Prov 14:34)
It is our responsibility as God’s people to continue to, “. . . be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world.” (Phil 2:15)